- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 cups milk, warmed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped with no juice (preferably fresh, but can use canned)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. basil chiffonade
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- Melt butter over medium-low heat and add onion.
- Cook until onion is soft, but not brown and adds garlic, cook for another minute or two.
- Add flour, stir well, and cook over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Slowly whisk warm milk into roux until well incorporated.
- Add cream and sugar and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes to soup and stir well to combine.
- Let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and puree contents in a blender, in batches if necessary.
- Strain soup through medium-meshed strainer.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, garnish each bowl with some of the basil.